What You Need to Know Before Building a Wood Fence
Building a wood fence is a big project, but it can add lots of value to your home. A wood fence is a structure that is made from horizontal or vertical boards, called pickets, that are attached to posts. It can be used to enclose a property, mark a boundary, or add privacy.
How much does it cost to build a wood fence?
The cost of building a wood fence varies depending on the size and type of fence you want, as well as the location. However, on average, it costs around $2,000 to build a wood fence.
What are the steps involved in building a wood fence?
There are several steps involved in building a wood fence, which includes:
- Planning - The first step is to plan out your fence. Decide what type of fence you want, the height and width, and where you want it to go.
- Excavating - Next, you need to excavate the area where your fence will be constructed. This involves digging holes for the posts and removing any rocks or debris.
- Installing the Posts - After the excavation is complete, you can install the posts. Use a level to make sure they are straight, and then use a post-hole digger to dig the holes. The posts should be set in concrete, so make sure to follow the instructions that come with your post hole digger.
- Attaching the Boards - Once the posts are in place, you can start attaching the boards. Use a drill to make pilot holes before driving in screws. Make sure the boards are evenly spaced and that there is no space between them and the posts.
- Finishing - Finally, finish up by trimming the excess wood, painting or staining the fence, and adding a gate (if needed).
First, you'll need to decide on the location and style of your fence. The location should be based on the function of the fence – for example, if you want to keep animals in or out, or if you need privacy. The style of your fence should also match the look of your home and property.
Once you've chosen a location and style, you'll need to plan out the construction. This includes measuring the area, figuring out how many fence panels you'll need, and drawing up a plan.
Once the planning is done, it's time to start building! Most wood fences are built with cedar, pine, or redwood lumber. Be sure to use pressure-treated lumber for the posts and rails, as this will help protect them from decay and insects.
The construction process is pretty simple – just follow the instructions in your plan. It's important to take your time and measure twice before cutting once.
Once the fence is completed, all that's left is to install the gate (if needed) and finish up by staining or painting the fence.
Building a wood fence can be a lot of work, but it's a project that you can do yourself with a little bit of planning and instruction. Just be sure to follow the proper safety precautions and take your time and before you know it, you'll have a beautiful new fence to enjoy for years to come!
Contact True Built Fencing, a fence contractor in Austin TX, and let professionals build your perfect fence.
True Built Fencing
+1 (512) 354 1601
2025 Guadalupe Street, Suite 250
Google my Business Website